Makeup Maven-Feature

Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2011

Post Big Chop

I big chopped on August 9 down to a one and half inch teeny weeny Afro, also known as TWA. In that time frame, my hair has shown about a 2 and a half in growth. Although I loved how I felt post chop, I wasn't in love with my hair. some of my ends were still straight from the cut, it wasn't long enough to do anything other than a wash and go, and I didn't know what products to use. I have learned a lot in this time frame about how to care for my hair, what products to use, and different styles to try. For the first three months I did a wash and go most days. I would strictly co-wash with a good conditioner, and add a leave in conditioner, and coconut oil and go about my day. On November 11, my husband surprised me with a trip to the salon to get my hair colored. It is now a light reddish brown color. I love it, i felt my hair needed some pizazz. About a week prior to getting my color, my hair had finally gotten long enough to wear in a style other than my TWA. I could wear a headband, and I tried finger coils for the first time. Now it's long enough for a two strand twist. I have been wearing these as my protective styles. I wash once a week and deep condition (dc), then I moisturize and style. I have learned what works good for my hair. I learned that for the most part, if I can readily identify all ingredients, it is a good product. I purchased a shampoo recently by Tropic Isle Living with Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Pimento Oil, Aloe Vera, Lavender, Rosemary Extract, Shea Butter, Organic Saponified Oils of Coconut, Olive, Jojoba, Vegetable Gum, Glycerin Extract. It makes my hair feel really soft and hydrated. I also learned that most shampoos have sulfates in them and are not good for keeping natural hair moisturized. I also discovered that after switching conditioners my hair felt really dry, and that was because of certain alcohols in it. I learned that I should stay away from conditioners with alcohols that start with a P in them. Those are the drying alcohols, and the other alcohols are better and more natural, so they are okay. I made my own whipped Shea butter. I bought a one pound tub of raw Shea butter, and added Castor oil, and ISOKE oils by Beautiful Brown Baby Doll. I plan on buying more of her products. So this is my current hair care regimen. We'll see what I am by my birthday in March. I may get yarn braids before the winter is over, but only if I can learn to do them myself.

Mixdup

No comments:

Post a Comment