Makeup Maven-Feature

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Eyeliner Can Be Your Friend or Be Your Foe

Eyeliner can make or break your entire makeup look. I'll be honest, when I first started doing my makeup I was horrible at eyeliner. I didn't have a very steady hand and I could never get close enough to my lashline to make it look natural. The way I overcame this, was by starting with an angled brush like M.A.C.'s 263 Angle Brush ( I own three) and using eyeshadow. This worked out better for me. I could use different color eye shadows as my eyeliner and it didn't take an incredibly steady hand for this. After a while, I started using the eye kohl pencils, and now I use both methods. I now also use M.A.C.'s 210 Precise Eye liner Brush dipped in M.A.C.'s Paint Pot in Blackground, or Sephora's Long Lasting Eye Liner. I love the Sephora brand, because it comes ready to use with its own resealable flocked tip applicator that does not bend easily. What you want to avoid when applying eyeliner, is a thick line. This ages you and does not look natural. It also doesn't give you room to correct if you mess up.Apply to the top and lower eyelid. Be careful when applying to the inside corners, you want this area to be the thinnest line. When applying, it may be helpful to pull the corner of the eye taught to make it easier to apply without gaps in unevenness. Don't start in the middle of your eyelid, start from the corner. To set your eyeliner when using a pencil, go over it in the same color eyeshadow. I like using liquid on the top lash and eye pencil/eyeshadow combo on the lower lash line. I also use a smudger brush sometimes for a little bit of a smokey look like this.

Makeup Don't

Makeup Do

Mixdup

2 comments:

  1. OK, question: eyeliner on top AND bottom lids? I've heard that NOT putting liner on your bottom lid makes you look younger. True? False? For those who DO put it on the bottom lid, what's your take on putting liner on the actual LID, as opposed to the bottom lash line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's partially true. Using eyeliner on only your bottom lid does in fact make you look older. Using eyeliner at all on your bottom lid also makes your eyes look smaller. Sometimes I use liner on the bottom, sometimes I just use mascara. But I think eyeliner looks better on the actual waterline, than under the bottom lash. It doesn't look good when you see the pink rim.

    ReplyDelete